The Wrap Up
As expected, the last week of Ecuador was insanity. Classes lasted until Wednesday, the 15th and the highlight of the day was undoubtedly the “practical exam” for my reading class. Cutting letters out of paper as fast as possible: the mark of an accomplished university student. At least it was an easy grade!
Thursday, Jenna, Summers, Bruce and I went to the orphanage where he worked all semester to throw his kids a Christmas party. We came bearing Barbies, trucks, cake and ice cream sandwiches and stood back in awe as the whirlwind that was Anita, Cristina, Isabela and Mateo took over. I cannot begin to describe how much I fell in love with these kids. Teaching at my school was a wonderful experience and I enjoyed it even more that I learned from it but here, all we had to do was play. One kick of the soccer ball (an accomplishment for me according to my three mean friends) and Anita had already climbed onto my waist with absolutely no intention of leaving for quite some time. After rolling trucks across the floor with Mateo, watching with knowing stares as Anita gave the Barbie her first bath and playing outside for a few hours, the four of us headed back the Bruce’s for grilled cheese (Has anyone noticed the pattern of grilled cheese as the designated comfort food?) and then to Adrián’s for a study date for poli sci. Thursday night was our first Christmas party with the whole group to celebrate the first night of the novena by eating large amounts of chocolate and exchanging unbelievably ridiculous gifts. As I said in the caption, O’Malley received capers and floor cleaner, Megita got an imitation Transformer and there was much oversized neon Ecuadorian jewelry to go around.
Friday, I finished off exams in Temas (poli sci) and Women’s Lit and sat around all evening vegging, watching Harry Potter and finishing a final paper. Saturday morning, Jenna, Summers, Bruce and I met to go market shopping one last time and sadly, ended up in Burger King one last time as well. That evening was our goodbye party at our director’s house. Everyone was all dressed up, the food was delicious and we all just got to hang out together before everyone dispersed. After the party, all of us except poor sick Kelly went out to a club to chill and eventually dance until 2 am.
Sunday was a little studying and a lot of visiting Jenna who was packing to go home the next day. And we all ended up in one house where three people were studying and the rest of us sat around making noise and doing little or nothing constructive.
Monday morning, I woke up (late) at 5:15 am to go to the airport and say goodbye to Jenna who so inconveniently chose the early flight. So once again, the vast majority of us stumbled around the airport in pajamas hugging Jenna and watching the sun come up. Lindsey, Hannah, Bruce and I then headed to the university one last time, arriving at the ungodly hour of quarter to seven. They studied for their Sexuality and Attraction exam which was infinitely more entertaining than mine in Teaching Reading. So after Reading and later, El Boom (a lit course), I was finally able to skip through the gates of the university to the freedom that awaited. To celebrate, a bunch of us went to Verde y Carbón, our beloved burger joint, for one last sloppy burger and potatos. For the evening, we went back to Hannah’s where the extended host families of Hannah, Hatch and Bruce were hosting the novena. This one involved a lot more singing, food and children which, for me, was the perfect way to get into the Christmas spirit.
Tuesday, I was at the airport twice more, once at a merciful 8 am to say goodbye to Summers, Adrián, Racek, Linsdey and O’Malley, and later at 12:30 with Bruce. In between, I finished up packing and cleaning out my bedroom which produced only slightly less trash than moving out of the dorm. My host family looked at me like they had never seen so much paper. After so many goodbyes and trips to the airport, I was feeling pretty ready myself. That night, I went to a novena with my host family in our apartment building but this one was much more formal and less spirited than the one the night before so I headed upstairs early to celebrate my last night with Harry Potter 3 and sleep.
Wednesday morning at 5:30 am, I said goodbye to the family and sat around groggily waiting for my delayed plane that took off at 9:30. Layover in Miami was uneventful except for the whole part about forgetting how to speak English. I was getting frustrated with the guy searching my bag so another guy came over to make sure everything was alright. I naturally responded completely in Spanish, including when he asked if I spoke English…I guess “Sí” isn’t really a convincing response to that question. But I got into Philly at 6:15 and thus ends my tale of Ecuador.
There are some things I miss like speaking Spanish all the time…I went to Spanish Mass today just for a fix. I keep thinking of certain streets or intersections in Quito and trying to figure out how to drive to them before I realize that they’re a continent away. And paying $17 rather than $6 for filet mignon was kind of a shocker. But overall, I’m happy to be back. Christmas with the family was a great way to come home and I might even get used to the cold.
And here, I suppose I must go cold turkey with the blog. Thanks to all of you who have been reading!

0 Comments:
Publicar un comentario
<< Home