Dr. Atkin’s Worst Nightmare
Saturday was the first free day I’ve had since I got here and it was gorgeous out. I took a walk around the barrio to take some pictures of the graffiti and public art. I’ve been keeping a mini-journal of the graffiti I see driving around to use for my independent study project here. A lot of murals that I think were done by elementary school kids. It’s really interesting way to get to know a country. So is getting grabbed twice while walking – a random guy grabbed my arm passing me on the street to accompany his “Hola, muñequita” (literally, “Hey, little doll”) and later, someone leaned out of a passing car and grabbed me around the waist. I felt momentarily superior since he failed to properly goose me but unfortunately, I broke the “no responding” rule and …um… “expressed my irritation and frustration.” The whistling I can handle but I’m all too prepared to pop the next guy that comes within 10 feet of me. Gotta work on that. Silly machismo. On the flip side, I’m still thrilled to pieces about my pictures though.
Anywho, in the afternoon, Jenna and her parents, my parents and I went to the Feria de Dulces (Fair of Sweets) in Quito Antiguo. Basically for a grand total of about $10 tops, six people got to eat a ridiculous amount of Ecuadorian/South American food plus the traditional ice creams, candy, etc. Buñelos, pristiños, tamales, empanadas de arroz, empanadas de viento (with cheese), humitas… What inspired the title of this entry one might ask? The fact that every one of the foods I just listed essentially consists of flour or corn prepared in different shapes and consistencies and submerged in vats of bubbling oil. Absolutely delicious (and it beats Boston’s fried dough hands down) but I think my arteries were about to break out of my body and strangle me.
Later, we went back to Jenna’s family’s apartment for “coffee” which was not coffee but leftover tamales, humitas, etc. etc. with coffee. The great part was that our four parents are very close friends and laugh constantly when they’re together so to be apart of that (even if I really had to focus to catch what the heck was going on) felt really fantastic. I’m think I’m finally starting to feel like an extra daughter rather than a gringa that lives in their house and eats their food.

0 Comments:
Publicar un comentario
<< Home